Thursday, April 3, 2008

Adventures in Plumbing

At approximately 11:42 this evening, my toilet began to overflow.

Regretfully, no one noticed this was happeing until approximately 11:44 this evening

I just got a new subletter Tuesday. By the time I got home last night (after surviving The Great Burrito Debacle), he was in bed. Which meant that within 5 minutes of actually meeting him tonight, he had to bashfully walk into the living room and tell me he had clogged the toilet and the bathroom was full of water. I ran into the bathroom to shut off the water only to discover that he had left out one important detail: namely that he had been- ahem- using the toilet before it had overflowed. This is probably a lot of people's worst nightmare; breaking a stranger's toilet before you're able to flush.

I felt for the kid, I really did.

Neither one of us really spoke much for the next 15 minutes. I don't know what we would have said anyway. We just rolled up our pants and waded in. I like to think that this was a bonding experience for the two of us and that in a few weeks, we'll remember tonight and laugh about it. But then again, maybe my roommate will cry himself to sleep tonight, utterly mortified at the situation.

It's really touch and go.

My phone rang twice while I was plungering the toilet. I wasn't sure at first if I should answer my phone considering the situation I was in. I mean, I was ankle deep in some dirty water. And then I realized, whoever is on the phone can't see me. But the entire time I was talking on the phone, I thought to myself, "If I drop my phone right now, I'm not going in after it. I'll just buy a new one."

Thankfully, I didn't drop my phone.

No comments: